Preprints
https://doi.org/10.5194/egusphere-2024-161
https://doi.org/10.5194/egusphere-2024-161
30 Jan 2024
 | 30 Jan 2024
Status: this preprint is open for discussion.

N dynamics during a 3-year crop rotation fertilized with digestates and cattle effluents

Victor Moinard, Antoine Savoie, Catherine Pasquier, Adeline Besnault, Yolaine Goubard-Delaunay, Baptiste Esnault, Marco Carozzi, Polina Voylokov, Sophie Génermont, Benjamin Loubet, Catherine Hénault, Florent Levavasseur, Jean-Marie Paillat, and Sabine Houot

Abstract. On-farm anaerobic digestion is used as a means of producing biogas, with the resulting digestates serving as organic fertilizers. However, such digestates have different fertilizer properties than undigested animal effluents, and are associated with different degrees of N loss. We conducted a field experiment in which cattle slurry and farmyard manure were co-digested with urban and agro-industrial wastes, which represented slightly more than two-thirds of the total. We managed a three-year crop succession (wheat – rapeseed – wheat) with five fertilization systems: no fertilization, mineral fertilizers, cattle manure and slurry, raw digestate, or separated solid and liquid digestates. An exogenous organic matter (EOM) (cattle slurry, liquid or raw digestates) or mineral fertilizer was applied five times in winter and spring. A different type of EOM (cattle manure, solid or raw digestates) was applied twice in summer. After each fertilizer application, we measured ammonia volatilization and N2O emissions, along with crop N uptake and soil mineral N stocks. Across the three-year rotation, the NH3 volatilization rate was the lowest in the plot treated with mineral fertilizers (2 % of applied total N, TN), followed by cattle effluents (7 % TN), liquid and solid digestates (9 % TN), and raw digestate (18 % TN). Seasonal cumulative N2O emissions were similar between mineral fertilizers and digestates, and were lower with cattle effluent, mainly because of lower ammoniacal N inputs. Compared to unfertilized crops, the surplus crop N uptake strongly reflected the mineral N content of fertilizers, ammonia volatilization, and the decomposition of EOM in the soil. Liquid digestate and cattle slurry had similar N use efficiencies (37 % to 60 % depending on the cropping season), while values for raw digestate were lower (25 to 41 %), likely due to its larger NH3 volatilization. Overall, digestates served as an effective N fertilizer but require particular attention to NH3 volatilization.

Victor Moinard, Antoine Savoie, Catherine Pasquier, Adeline Besnault, Yolaine Goubard-Delaunay, Baptiste Esnault, Marco Carozzi, Polina Voylokov, Sophie Génermont, Benjamin Loubet, Catherine Hénault, Florent Levavasseur, Jean-Marie Paillat, and Sabine Houot

Status: open (until 29 Mar 2024)

Comment types: AC – author | RC – referee | CC – community | EC – editor | CEC – chief editor | : Report abuse
Victor Moinard, Antoine Savoie, Catherine Pasquier, Adeline Besnault, Yolaine Goubard-Delaunay, Baptiste Esnault, Marco Carozzi, Polina Voylokov, Sophie Génermont, Benjamin Loubet, Catherine Hénault, Florent Levavasseur, Jean-Marie Paillat, and Sabine Houot

Data sets

Metametha dataset Catherine Pasquier et al. https://doi.org/10.15454/5MOZKJ

Victor Moinard, Antoine Savoie, Catherine Pasquier, Adeline Besnault, Yolaine Goubard-Delaunay, Baptiste Esnault, Marco Carozzi, Polina Voylokov, Sophie Génermont, Benjamin Loubet, Catherine Hénault, Florent Levavasseur, Jean-Marie Paillat, and Sabine Houot

Viewed

Total article views: 129 (including HTML, PDF, and XML)
HTML PDF XML Total Supplement BibTeX EndNote
108 17 4 129 8 1 2
  • HTML: 108
  • PDF: 17
  • XML: 4
  • Total: 129
  • Supplement: 8
  • BibTeX: 1
  • EndNote: 2
Views and downloads (calculated since 30 Jan 2024)
Cumulative views and downloads (calculated since 30 Jan 2024)

Viewed (geographical distribution)

Total article views: 127 (including HTML, PDF, and XML) Thereof 127 with geography defined and 0 with unknown origin.
Country # Views %
  • 1
1
 
 
 
 
Latest update: 21 Feb 2024
Download
Short summary
Anaerobic digestion is used for biogas production. The resulting digestates may be associated with different crop performances and N losses compared to undigested animal effluents. We monitored N flows during a three-year field experiment with different fertilizations based on cattle effluents, digestates, or mineral fertilizers. Digestates were effective N fertilizer but required attention to NH3 volatilization. We identified no additional risks of N2O emissions with digestates.